Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've had a "nuisance" "small evap leak" code causing my

Customer Question
I've had a "nuisance"...

I've had a "nuisance" "small evap leak" code causing my check engine light to illuminate since I've owned a 2008 Aspen. i have a reader that will erase codes and have been doing this for several years. sometimes it lasts for two weeks and sometimes six months. This morning I have a "gascap" warning on the odometer that I can not keep from reappearing. It looks like they may be related from what I've read online so far.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

No blink

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Aspen yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing, but erasing the codes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just whether a new cap might cure this issue or if there's more to it...

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Ron Z., - Chrysler Tech - replied 8 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chrysler Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

When the gas cap warning comes on, along with the small evap leak p-code, this very well may just simply be the case of a faulty fuel cap. Check the underside of the fuel cap for any cracks or signs of defects that may keep the cap from sealing correctly. If there are any doubts about the inspection of the cap, replace it. Keep in mind, you will need a cap that meets OE Specs. Those "universal" or "locking" fuel caps sold at after market parts stores do not meet OE specs, and will not seal the system correctly. If the fuel cap does not solve the problem, then the next course of action is to have the evap system "smoked". This is where a machine forces smoke through the system and any leaks can then be more easily found and repaired. If the smoke test proves no leaks, then individual items will need to be tested. A common fail item on these vehicles that can set the gas cap warning and a small leak code is a faulty purge solenoid. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Thanks. Do you have a WAG as to whether a dealership would have the solenoid or is it a specific part/item to this vehicle?

Yes. The Dealer will definitely have the solenoid. It is a very common fail item on many different Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep vehicles. Not specific to this vehicle at all.

..

HI! I noticed this Q&A was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.