Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The electronic throttle light came on. 2010 Chrysler 300,

The electronic throttle light...

The electronic throttle light came on. 2010 Chrysler 300, Going to trade it in on Monday so don't want to spend too much to fix!

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Two actually. the engine malfunction light and the electronic throttle control light. Car still running fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have been traveling, back tonight and trading it in on Monday - so want to get it off if it does not indicate anything serious.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/12/2017
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

do you have access to a scan tool?

No - but could take to shop or maybe auto parts tomorrow.

first step is to scan for codes...a scan tool has a clear code button or function..i would clear it see if it stays off and for how long...if you have a harbor freight near you you can pick a cheap code reader up for like 40 bucks id grab one so you have the ability to pull codes and reset the light

Have also read that just disconnecting negative battery cable will make car computer reset and clear codes.... but of course then no info what is going on. Will that work? Does it hurt anything to try it and see if lights come back on?

it will usually but then resets the radio so you need the security code or it locks it out

Is code just for the satellite radio? I don't use it so wouldn't hurt...

no for the radio to turn on period

when battery dies radio goes out and won't come on? How do I get a code for that?

no for the radio to turn on period

John - I can run up to local shop tomorrow and get codes checked and cleared - guess that is what I was going to do anyways. My engine malfunction light has come on a few times over the last several years - always has gone back off after several days. To get some value for me can you at least tell me what problems the electronic throttle malfunction light usually indicates and whether it is something for me to worry about prior to trading in the car Monday or Tuesday. Thanks.

usually its a failed throttle body or a failed throttle pedal assembly... may be a wise investment to buy a cheap scan tool so you can reset it before trade in...may be the easiest...try and reset it tomorrow see if it comes back on...it likley will but its a mystery on how fast...if its a solid failure it may come back on almost instant

That provides some helpful guidance. Thanks. Will do as you suggest.

your welcome

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

hope you can rate my service 5 star