sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2012 Chrysler 200 and the top will Close but not

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Chrysler 200 and the top will
Close but not fully saying malfunction. It will not
Fully up or down
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're seeing a top malfunction message it is because the power top control module is seeing a component in an incorrect state or is seeing a failure and is setting fault codes. The problem may be a mechanical failure or damage to a component or it could be an electrical issue such as a bad microswitch or wiring issue.

If you don't see any physical damage to components or wiring then a scan tool will need to be used to see what fault codes have set in the PTCM and then testing can be done from there based on the findings.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No damage but all the dealerships are booked for like 2 weeks. I can't drive the car faster than 50 miles per hour until top is secured . Any thing else you can suggest ?

You can try a battery disconnect to clear fault codes and see if it may work again temporarily but that isn't a repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The actual car battery ?

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it ok to disconnect the positive ?

Yes.