Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2012 Chrysler 200 and the top will Close but not…

Customer Question
I have a 2012 Chrysler...
I have a 2012 Chrysler 200 and the top will
Close but not fully saying malfunction. It will not
Fully up or down
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chrysler
10/17/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're seeing a top malfunction message it is because the power top control module is seeing a component in an incorrect state or is seeing a failure and is setting fault codes. The problem may be a mechanical failure or damage to a component or it could be an electrical issue such as a bad microswitch or wiring issue.

If you don't see any physical damage to components or wiring then a scan tool will need to be used to see what fault codes have set in the PTCM and then testing can be done from there based on the findings.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

No damage but all the dealerships are booked for like 2 weeks. I can't drive the car faster than 50 miles per hour until top is secured . Any thing else you can suggest ?

You can try a battery disconnect to clear fault codes and see if it may work again temporarily but that isn't a repair.

The actual car battery ?

Yes.

Is it ok to disconnect the positive ?

Yes.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician