Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 sebring convertible, i have battery going dead…

Hey sir i have...

Hey sir i have a 2004 sebring convertible, i have battery going dead after a few days concern. i have a .045 amp draw on battery. i have removed fuse 5 from interior fuse box and it drops down to .026 amp. i continue to pull fuses from interior and it stays the same. i went ahead and removed fuses from engine bay compartment. fuse 9 which states power door locks allows the amp to drop to .002 milli amps. have you seen this issue before and could you guide me down the correct path to fix concern

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Battery is a brand new bosch reads 12.6 volts

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and i have seen that fuse 5 from interior and fuse 9 from engine bay box and it drops down to 20 milli amps. which is acceptable draw

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

10/7/2017
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

45 milliamps is just barely over what is considered normal. 30-40 miliiamps is normal and will not cause the battery to die. It sounds as if you either have a bad battery or the actual draw is intermittent.

Has anything been done with the battery?

It’s a brand new battery. Literally purchased 5 days ago. I don’t use the car that much and I have left the vehicle before for a week and no issues. I replaced the old battery because the car was stone dead I tried jumping it and still didn’t start. I replaced it with a Bosch agm battery because I hear that agm is a better battery. I put it in the car and it started right up. I checked alternator voltage output. It was good 13.6 to 14.4. Put all accessories on and voltage was stabilized. Figured all is good. I went out with the car on Sunday. Drove to New Jersey from Long Island. No problems and parked it. Today go and try to start it and it’s dead. Jumped it and started. I have an agm acceptable battery charger and charged it. Got the voltage back up. Then I performed a draw test I saw that the reading was .045. If I’m not reading that right please correct me i thought that read 450 milli amps which is high. I though the reading should be .003 which means 30 milli amps. When I began to remove fuses .045 went to .026. I kept removing fuses and found another fuse that dropped it down to .003 or what I thought was 30 milli amps. Once again if I’m wrong let me know. My thoughts were that the Bcm is faulty. Because the 2 fuses I removed had a common to them which was the bcm.

450 milliamps is .45 amps. .045 is 45 milliamps and wouldn't cause the battery to die over a several week span. You don't presently have a draw that will affect the battery. If there was a draw that killed the battery then it's intermittent or possibly something was left on.

Ok sir thank you very much for your time and patience.

You're welcome!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician