Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Evap leak detected check engine light on when driving gives…

Customer Question
Evap leak detected check...

Evap leak detected check engine light on when driving gives a bit of a pull throttle to get moving idling

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Its stayed on now bout a week last work done thought it was transmission returned to care salesmen his mechanic found it ti be bad axle and replaced it after that check engine light came on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

Then took back he said its motor mount causing this and evap leak its 2005 touring

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Touring yourself? What have you tried so far?

Pacifica

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

4.0l

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chrysler
10/5/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I dont see how a motor mount can cause an evap leak unless the engine is moving around enough to disconnect an evap hose temporarily.

What has to be done for the evap leak is to have an evap smoke machine connected to your vehicle to inject smoke into the fuel tank vapor system as well as using a compatible scan tool to close the evap vent valve.Then the vehicle is checked over to locate where this leak is leaking from and that is then the component needing repaired or replaced.

I have seen broken vent lines at the tank or leading from the tank or canister to the purge control valve/solenoid needing replaced.

If this only happened after the axle was replaced the facility that did the replacement may have left a vacuum connection disconnected or damaged an evap component.In allot of cases just a loose gas cap will cause this and tightening the cap and clearing out the code can resolve the fault and should be the first step.But if the code returns after this is done then you need to have the evap system tested further to locate where the leak is and then it can be repaired from there to resolve this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete first issue was i drove to md 186.5 miles from phila upon my arrival i had a low tire pressure so i figured let me put air in b4 i head back on road to pa well i only went maybe 100ft less than a mile to a gas station put the air in upon driving back car sounded like i was dragging something looked below nothing got back to park put car in park went to get out keys in hand car still rollin forward applied emergency brake instantly thought transmission issue contacted seller had towed back to pa to his mechanic after thourough inapection stated it did this cause axle was completely done he replaces the drivers axle ans explained to mw he also informed seller motor mount was really bad in which he was basically informed not to inform me well upon me getting my vehicle back it felt weird and check engine light which never has come on was on return to mechanic who then stated u have a evap leak also so is there pete a sealant that can be injected to seal leaks for cheap ? And where is the motor mount located

O.k.,your model has several motor mounts so its difficult to say from here for sure which has failed.You would have 2 to 3 for the engine and one for the transmission so its difficult to say which one you need.He can usually tell you which needs replaced or have another repair facility inspect it to see which needs replaced for sure.

I dont recommend any sealant for the evap system as this will ruin evap vent and purge valves.The leak needs to be tested with an evap smoke test machine to then locate it for repair.This is the only way to locate and repair the eval leak.If he cannot do this testing then another shop with an evap smoke machine is needed.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete