Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a grand voyager 06 motor needs replacing, never happy…

Customer Question
Second opinion] have a...

Second opinion] have a grand voyager 06 motor needs replacing, never happy with lack of performance especially when towing, wondering if different breed motor replacement possible. I am in Melbourne Aust.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

140000 kms auto 3.3 ltr

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Voyager yourself? What have you tried so far?

My local mechanic (trustworthy) points out to rebuild motor would cost around $7000 but will still not have power compared to say a Ford 6 cyl 4 ltr. I use the car for work and love the versatility, reluctant to change.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chrysler
10/5/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Chris, Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris
Chris, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Your best option would be to replace the 3.3L with a 3.8L engine from a Grand Voyager. It is basically the same size as far as outer dimensions, but has a slightly larger cylinder bore and longer stroke. You would gain a little more horsepower and torque. It would pretty much bolt right in. The only other thing you would need to do to make it run better would be to swap the 3.3 PCM (computer) with one for the 3.8.

Cheers

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my answer from yesterday. Please let me know if you did. I will send it again if necessary.
Thank you!Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my answer from a few days ago. Please let me know if you did. I will send it again if necessary. Thank you! Chris