Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. Stalled while driving. Now…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 Chrysler...
I have a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. Stalled while driving. Now it starts but stalls.If I turn the key to start the car, the results are the car will crank, then start, then stall.Sometimes it stalls after hardly sputtering to a start
Sometimes it stalls after starting and running strongly for a second or two
Sometimes the starter will only crank briefly, in these instances the car does not start.Disconnecting the fuel line at the rail revealed lots of fuel and pressureI suspect the key and/or ignition cylinder?The remote start function will lock the doors and honk the horn twice, but the starter does not actually engageNo codesIf I go key on engine off, pause, then go to start, no attempt to start
If I under key and quickly go to start, it will start and stall
1/10 times, it will fail to crank regardless how I turn the keyWhenever it stalls, I have to remove the key and put I back to get a response. Simply turning back to the start position does nothingAnti theft light (red dot) comes on and goes off as it should. Blinks when locks are set. Never comes on after the one time all the lights initially light up (key on engine off)Thanks in advance
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chrysler
10/1/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Amedee, Chrysler Technician replied 7 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

You are now connected with a mechanic.

I am very sorry you're having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

• I don't know your skill level or background.
  • I also don't know the vehicle's history other than what you have and provide me with here on this page.
  • Please keep in mind, I cannot see the vehicle and I am not there to run the tests and check things as needed. My answers are solely based on the information you provide me with.
  • If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please request a phone call on your end and will call you right away.
  • If you don't understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.
  • Please understand that I am here to help.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Does the engine remain running if you spray starting fluid into the intake when the engine is about to stall?

No codes stored or pending, starting fluid doesn't help or hurt.I'm looking into ignition lock cylinder replacement, what do you think?

Well, you can certainly try it.

However, I would do some testing first before replacing it.

How can we test it

I would check it using a voltmeter.

That is if you think the electrical part is faulty.

Ok I have a multi meter ...It seems logical there could be a short in the cylinder based on the symptoms. Do you have the steps

Can you post your VIN please?

1c3Lc46k17N501114

Good morning and thank you for the VIN sir.

The ignition lock housing is likely not the issue. I dont think the electrical portion of the ignition switch is faulty either, but you can certainly check it. Based on your VIN, you can check the red wire leaving the ignition switch for power. It should have power on it anytime the key is turned to the run and or crank position.

I have attached a wiring diagram below.

Ok the car is at my shop I'll be there in a couple hours.So I will hook up to the red wire for voltage, and then attempt to start the car. If the car stalls, but 12v is present at the red wire, we can rule out the switch?

You got it!

New ignition dame symptomWhere would you advise we check
Same **

Hello!

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

I could probably do that tomorrow or the next day, but was hoping to get this resolved sooner

Even if I posted the "answer" now. It would take some time to verify, check and replace the faulty component

In addition, we are still very far away from an "answer". There is a lot of ground we need to cover yet. That's why it would be best to speak on the phone.

Are you kidding?
A phone call will not happen right now, let it go. We can communicate though this medium. I'm very coherent.We are far away from an answer because you are not sharing the diagnostic procedure with me.Instead you keep insisting on a phone callI can speak but I can also read.So are you willing to assist me via this website or not? I came here for help via text not to be pressured into a phone upcharge. So far we have explored my theory but I have yet to receive advice toward a solution from youSo can you help me or notI am asking you to assist me in repairing the condition I described earlier

Hello and sorry for the delay!

YES, sir. I can most certainly help you on this page.

As there are many things that can cause this condition, the next step would be to check for codes in all modules on board the vehicle.

Please write down and record all codes stored in all modules and reply back.

I will be looking forward to your reply!

Amedee

No codes pending permanent or stored

Excellent!

What type of scanner did you use?

It's an older snap on I also have a scanner that'll give me full data, a number of bi directional commands ...

And you tried using them both?

Are you a tech in the field?

I feel like there is more to this story than your telling me.

Dude...I gave you a very detailed description of the fault. I was driving. The car stalled. Attempts to restart the vehicle produced the symptoms I described. I'm looking for help solving the issue.Yes. I used them both. There are NO CODES. I've said it SEVERAL TIMES. NO CODES. Can we diagnose? Or do you want to investigate ME? Why leave something out? I want the car fixed. I gave so much info in my opening question, how could I be leaving out part of the story. WHY would I leave anything out?If you feel I left something out, ask. Directly. Because I'm telling you directly, you seem to be avoiding actually being helpful. Even the most generic of scanners will detect a code if a code is present, whether it can define it or not. So why ask what brand? You seem so interested in the irrelevant. I came here for help
I am going to leave this question open. Good luck.
Yea probably best since you don't seem interested in any actual diagnostic guidance
Chrysler Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 7 months ago
Michael Solis

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Start-Stall usually means the car went into limp mode for many reasons. Basically one of the modules is either not communicating with the computer or some wiring shorting giving ground where it should not.

Do some quick checks for me,

disconnect throttle and other sensors and measure the voltage reading on each pin KOEO, one should always have 5 volts as a reference the computer throws to each sensor

Before you do any of that, do me a favor to better serve you is to send me an attachment complete scan of all modules, I want to review them, thank you.

Obd2 scan showed no codes, but I looked a little closer. No communication with engine computer. Transmission computer is the only computer accessible trough the obd2 port
Chrysler Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 7 months ago

Nice, what about the % volt ref on the pin of the throttle?

Chrysler Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 7 months ago

5 volt ref---

I'll grab that now. Just the throttle? Or a couple others for good measure?
Chrysler Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 7 months ago

couple others if possible

Most of the connectors were too small for my probe... there was a larger connector to a sensor on the front of the intake , it has power/ground in each of its three pins. I wasn't able to get a 5v signal from anywhere.
Chrysler Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 7 months ago

You need to stick a safety pin in the pin or the back side of each wire then measure, it is crucial to find out if it shows 5v or 2.4 v or 0 v, I really need to know.

Ok. It's a 6 wire connector, which is signal
Chrysler Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 7 months ago
Check each pin one should have the signal if you really want it I can give it to you
Michael Solis
Michael Solis
Michael Solis