Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

No spark on 1997 Chrysler Concorde 3.5L. Code read Cam

Customer Question
No spark on 1997...

No spark on 1997 Chrysler Concorde 3.5L. Code read Cam Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction. Changed the cam sensor, replaced power pack, disconnected battery for reset. Still no spark, and code continues for sensor. Checked all fuses, none appear to be burned.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

New battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Concorde yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, as I stated, replaced cam sensor, power pack, and checked all fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, spark plug tube seals and allowing oil into tube

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/29/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Mike V.v, Technician replied 10 months ago
Mike V.v
Mike V.v, Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

This usually means there is a problem with the timing or the timing belt. I would pull the covers off and make sure the belt is intact. If it's not then you know it's a timing issue. The cam sensor code is there because either the cam isn't turning or it's so far out of time it's not providing the right signal.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Ok. Just a side note, the cam sensor was very warn when it was replaced.

That's somewhat possible because it's got some voltage going to it. I think I would check the belt though. It's possible the belt is still turning the cam, just out of time.

is the crank shaft pulley
bolt reverse threads?
Timing belt is chewed up

No the crank pulley is regular right hand threads. A long breaker bar to break it loose and usually you can remove the starter or the shield for the torque converter and lock a wedge in the flywheel so you can break it loose.

Also, please remember to rate my answer.

Thank you

don't need to remove pulley, but the belt is pretty shredded, so I'm not sure where timing is correct. I would guess turn cams simultaneously until they both line up on timing marks. is the correct, and if so which mark, there are two

HERE is the procedure to replace the timing belt. It's 5 pages and has the alignment marks on it as well.

Do you need more help with this?