Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

92 Lebaron convertibel v6 (3.0) Sometimes it will not go…

Customer Question
39;92 Lebaron convertibel v6...

39;92 Lebaron convertibel v6 (3.0)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LeBaron yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sometimes it will not go into gear. It just sits there. Sometimes it will "clunk" into gear, but when it does that it is often in limp mode. Code reader says "First gear ratio error" This is an intermittent problem. VERY inconsistent. Will almost always reset by shutting off and re-starting.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Don't think it has a break switch. The Tranny was re-built about 3 yrs ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It still has the original TCM

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/28/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 10 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

POSSIBLE CAUSES:

Valve body - #1 ball check or LR switch valve sticking (may also set code 50 or give no reverse)

Speed sensor or associated wiring (may also set code 50 or give no reverse).

Failed or intermittent slipping UD clutch (may also set 52, or 53).
- UD seal leakage (intermittent).
- Worn input clutch hub bushing (hard code at heavy throttle).
- Sticky UD accumulator seals (intermittent).
- Worn reaction shaft support seal rings (hard code at heavy throttle).
- Defective solenoid pack (UD pressure in 4th gear).

Failed or slipping LR clutch - may or may not have code 50
- LR seal leakage (intermittent).
- Sticky LR accumulator seals (intermittent).

The fact that at times it will not go into gear at all points to an internal problem and not electronics, so the transmission will need to come out and torn down to find the issue of the above possible causes

Good morning Eric -
One of the first things I mentioned to the lady who initially took my inquiry is that this tranny was JUST rebuilt. Total tear down. It was doing something similar prior to the rebuild, so they were particularly careful to look for internal issues, but claim to have not found anything obvious that would have resulted in the issue I'm having.
It RARELY (if ever) acts up when cold.

HI,

Ok, in your post you put that it was rebuilt 3 yrs ago. I dont consider that to have just been rebuilt and if it has set for most of the time, the seals have dried and will cause the issue to only show when fluid is warmed up.

The list of causes I posted are from Chrysler. The only non internal possible causes are the solenoid pack and the speed sensor, but again, because it wont go into gear when warmed up, points to internal. IF it were electrical, it would go into gear while warmed up but may not shift out of 1st or 2nd.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Unless you have a further question on this, at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Hey Eric -
It was rebuilt several years ago. That's true, but I also mentioned to her that I JUST had it rebuilt again (under warrantee) because this has been going on, off & on, ever since the first rebuild. I don't have our initial chat in front of me, but anyway...
The folks who rebuilt it both times run a well established business who have done work for me several times in the past. I can't imagine that the internal items you described initially could have been missed both times...
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?