Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 PT Cruiser, there is a clearence difference between the…

Customer Question
2004 PT Cruiser, there...

2004 PT Cruiser, there is a clearence difference between the driver side and passenger side in regards ***** ***** top inside of tires and the lower spring seat on strut assembly,the passenger side has approximately 1 1/2 inch clearance and the driver side is only about 3/4 inch clearance., I replaced lower control arm assembly, new struts and stabler links and still have the same clearances, any thoughts what may cause this?

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

Improved ride and handling,also car has more ground clearance., also the car sits level, is this normal wheel clearances?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, and replaced everything on the front except the steering knuckle itself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there a manufacturing difference on the steering knuckle where the strut mounts depending on having 16" vs 17" tires?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/28/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

First, I need you to verify that all 4 tires are exactly the same size. Post back the tire size of all 4 tires.

I also need to know why you are concerned with this clearance? Are you having irregular tire wear? Are you having a hard time aligning the front wheels??

Keep me posted

Thank you,

Robert

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

the tires are the same size and new and what Chrysler factory sticker stated, I am concerned because it should be the same on either side,shouldn't it?., just wanting to make sure that the steering knuckle is not bent at the top where the strut attaches,before having to disassemble the whole thing again., nothing looked out of the ordinary,but I assuming it wouldn't come from the factory that way.

It is possible that the Knuckle could be bent. A good way to tell if it is bent is to look closely at the section that attaches to the strut and see if you see any fresh rust chipping off or "Stress Marks" in the area causing the rust to flake away. If you see this then the knuckle is bent and will need to be replaced. Be sure to inspect BOTH knuckles closely. The one that may be bent may not be the one you think is bent...

It is also possible that the difference in clearance is due to one wheel being out of alignment. This is why I asked if you were having a hard time getting it to align. If it aligns with no problem and you have no irregular tire wear AND there is no stress cracking on the knuckles then I would leave it alone. It is not abnormal for the clearance differences to be slightly different from side to side...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and effort. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you have paid to use the service. Leaving no rating results in the WEBSITE retaining the payment and the Expert that helped you out receives no credit. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my answer, I want to say "Thanks", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also, I want to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not left a rating, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician