Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 09 Pt that I went and lost the key now I would like…

Customer Question
I have a 09...

I have a 09 Pt that I went and lost the key now I would like to get it moved to the dealer to install a new key and run it. No key no move how can I do this

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

No I do not that have a back up key

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 Chrysler?

I just pulled the registration and all it says is that it is a PT Cruiser?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

I unlocked the car with a coat hanger!! put now I am looking for ideas to be able to tow the PT to the dealer

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No not really

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/26/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I read your question and have a couple suggestions that you can do . Some times the key code is in the owner's manual , if yours is you can take that to the dealer and have a new key cut without towing it. This would be the less expensive way. the next way is have a lock smith try to retrieve the code off the cylinders for you and do the same-getting a key cut. The last and most expensive is towing it front driving wheels off the ground to the dealer where they may have to change the cylinders and keys. Either way get spares cut and store in a safe place. sOETIMES THE DEALERS CAN LOOK UP KEY CODES FROM YOUR VIN NUMBER AND OTHER INFO SO TRY THAT FIRST AND CALL THEM IF THEY CAN. Let me know if this helps you and if you need further help . Please take the time to rate my service, thank you.

well the problem being is that the PT needs to be at the dealer to do some of that work and without a key to unlock the system and get it out of park ,I can not move the car to be towed

if you have a floor jack or can borrow one you can raise the front up just enough to move the car in to position for a tow truck to lift it safely. Do you need more info on this?

no thank you I'll figure it out

you can get it out of park with triggering the bypass switch on the console easy to do that. Do you need procedure for that/