Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My husband is stuck in Georgia with his pt cruiser. It

Customer Question
My husband is stuck...

My husband is stuck in Georgia with his pt cruiser. It stopped at a stop sign and would not go into gear. Then it did and he got to auto zone...showing codes PO 441, Po 700, and Po 732... What are these codes and is it a big deal

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

He has checked nothing...I live in Pennsylvania mand he is afraid to drive it or where to start...high miles on car

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your PT Cruiser?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

He just broke down and has tried nothing yet ...looking for so,e direction

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Let me check with him and I will get back to you How much is it to talk to the mechanic

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/25/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

P0441 is an evaporative emissions code and unrelated to the transmission

P0700 is a tech information code telling the tech there is a separate transmission fault code in the transmission control module, in this case the P0732

SYMPTOM
P0732-GEAR RATIO ERROR IN 2ND

WHEN MONITORED
The Transmission gear ratio is monitored continuously while the Transmission is in gear.

SET CONDITION
If the ratio of the Input RPM to the Output RPM does not match the current gear ratio.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
- RELATED DTC'S PRESENT
- TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/PRESSURE SWITCH ASSEMBLY
- INTERNAL TRANSMISSION
- INTERMITTENT GEAR RATIO ERRORS

The vast majority of times it is the transmission solenoid/pressure switch assembly. Failure of this can cause it not going into gear, harsh shift or slippage.

It needs to be repaired before making the drive to Pennsylvania.

It is 1.2 hours to replace and the part runs around $180

If your husband is planning to do himself, directions are attached

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you. Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you