Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My wife's 2001 sebring had the battery light come on this…

Hey. my wife's...

Hey. my wife's 2001 sebring had the battery light come on this morning and then the engine died. She had it towed home but when i came home (expecting a bad alternator) it starts right up and charges fine. It does have P0700 and P1714 both of which cleared and haven't come back on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

The alternator is charging and the battery seems good BUT the main connector on the alternator and those silly extension battery connectors look pretty grungy

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'll be doing it myself and my first thing was to test battery and alternator and both seem good so next is to clean all the connectors on battery, alternator and the extension connector.....all have a fair bit of corossion.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No...think that's it. the P1714 error seems to be either transmission or low battery

9/25/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The code P0700 sets if the transmission control module see a system fault and the code P1714 is a A /T Transmission Control Relay Low Battery Voltage code likely set due to the charging system not charging when the battery light came . Since its charging okay now then I would start with seeing if you can clean up the connections at the alternator. If you are loosing the connections at the alternator this could have caused all the problems you are having.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks very much Ron. If I have further issues, I'll open a new question.
Thanks Ron. I’ll get that all cleaned!

Your very welcome and thank you as well.

Thanks for your assistance Ron. Once i got some pretty bad corrosion cleaned up it turned out the alternator was also not working well. Its replaced and everything is working well.

Glad to hear you got this resolved and all is well. Thank you as well.