Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The hard convertible hardtop won't come back down. I've been…

Customer Question
The hard convertible hardtop...

The hard convertible hardtop won't come back down. I've been told I need a new left motor. Can you give me an idea of the cost and is possible to do it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Only 31,000 automatic hard top

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Convertible?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to the local dealership and he said the lift motor needs replaced and it would cost me almost $500

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

He also said it is hard to find the part and it would take 7 to 10 days to get the part

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/26/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The price they gave you is substantially cheaper than I would expect it to be. A new replacement pump assembly retails for $1,550 so it's hard to say where they're sourcing a pump that cheap. It may be an aftermarket reman pump or possibly used, you'd need to ask them to be sure. The part number for a new Mopar pump is 68027037AA. It calls for .9 hour labor to replace it.

THe pump may be something you'd be able to replace on your own but it depends on your ability and comfort level and what you have for tools. The trim panel at the rear of the trunk is removed, the pump bracket unbolted, the lines removed and then the pump removed from the bracket. After reinstalling the new one then the reservoir would need to be filled and the system bled.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

When I picked up my car the service manager said it was the convertible top LIFT motor, but the parts guy said he had priced a latching motor which was located under the panel above the windshield on the inside of the car. He had an service put it back together until I decide what to so. At this point I am totally confused!

That would be the header latch motor then. The parts adviser is more likely to have it right if he was the one that looked it up, the service writer used the wrong name or didn't understand what actually needed to be done. If it's the header latch motor that would explain the low price. Replacing the header latch motor is more involved because the visors and trim panel and the entire presenter plate are removed and then the motor removed from the linkage and presenter plate. It's a few hours worth of work.

I was pointing out that the service guy said one thing and the parts guy said something else, so at that point I wasn't sure they had figured out the problem positively. Would the header latch motor cause the top to stop halfway through while I was putting the top down. It seems like it would be more like the lifting motor.

Neither the parts person or the service writer worked on the vehicle or were responsible for diagnosing it. I'm sure the service writer used wrong terminology. The person that looked the part up spoke directly with the technician to do the estimate and would know what part he was asked for.

If the header latch motor failed then there should be an issue with the header unlatching. It's possible that it may be unlatching enough for the top to move but not to keep a microswitch closed during operation.

If you're unsure of the diagnosis you can always see another dealer for another opinion.