Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Starting issue. I replaced the starter and the ignition as…

Customer Question
Starting issue Mechanic's Assistant:...

Starting issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

I replaced the starter and the ignition as well as the ignition actuator and Im still getting one click when I turn the key to start it. If I run a wire underneath and contact the ignition wire on the starter it turns over and starts. But the ignition will only click once

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2005 chrysler 300 touring 3.5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it for now

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
By the way I change the ignition because the ignition activated diagnostic mode is not working either so I thought that maybe it was the ignition
9/24/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 9 months ago
eric remington

hello....so battery voltage is?

12 v
Chrysler Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 9 months ago

ok lets start off with checking voltage at the battery stud at the starter? so voltage at battery is only 12.0 it should be at least 12.5 12.6. leave negative lead at battery and put positive lead at starter stud..let me know reading

Chrysler Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 9 months ago

If bvattery is only 12 volts it will need a charge

Voltage is 11/9 but the car has been sitting for 2 weeks
you're telling me that I should be able to jump it and it'll start
Now don't forget that when I run a wire from the battery to the starter the car starts so the battery can't be the issue can it
Chrysler Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 9 months ago

u​understood... do u have charger

I do
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like you have a cable or connection issue between the battery and starter or battery and engine, depending on exactly what cable you're running to the starter.

Can you elaborate on what you're connecting between the battery and starter?

Ok let me start by explaining previous behavior. I would sometines turn the key and get a single click, but when I shifted into neutral and turn the key again it would start. Ive been experiencing this randomly for at least the last 10 months. Until now when the shift to neutral no longer works

Just a 8 gauge wire
Directly to solenoid

From where to where? I need to know exactly what was done as I can only work from the information posted to this page.

The Chrysler 300 has the battery in the trunk there is a positive access terminal under the hood I'm going from that positive access terminal at the breaker box to the solenoid on the starter

What terminal on the solenoid?

There two connectors on the solenoid one is the main connection that comes straight off of the battery and holds a constant flow of power the small plug is the wire that comes from the ignition that's where I'm connecting

Has the starter relay been replaced?

Do you have an incandescent test light?

No but I have a high-quality meter

An incandescent test light should be used to test powers and grounds.

Is it at least a digital voltmeter?

it is

How many terminals at the starter relay have power with the key in the crank position and what is the reading?

Let me get my wife to go out there with me to check that and I'll get back to you

Ok.