Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Want to replace tonneau cover latches in 95 lebaron

Want to replace tonneau...

Want to replace tonneau cover latches in 95 lebaron convertible. Think I have to take out interior panels to do that. How do I do it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Saab Convertible. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

It is a chrysler lebaron convertible-not a Saab

9/22/2017
Dennis Gooch

Hi! I can help you. I do need the exact year make and model so that I can give you the proper procedure.

95 lebaron gtc convertible, ohc v6, 3L
4 speed automatic

Those panels normally have spring loaded clips on the inside. Typically if you can get prying tool behind panel and pry out gently while moving tool to different locations around edges of panel it will pop free.

do i need to remove the rear seats first?

That will definitely make it easier. I have seen guys fight the panels out without removing seat but it definitely is harder and creates a larger chance of breaking a side panel. The seat bottoms should come out by just pushing inward and prying up on them. Once seat bottom is out you should be able to see a couple bolts holding seat back in place. Remove bolts and then push seat back upwards to release.

Dennis Gooch
Just to let you know it is not necessary to remove the rear seats or interior panels to install the tonneau cover latches. There is easy access to the interior of the panel from the well where the convertible top retracts and the lock nut can be installed on the pin on the latch.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm sorry my info wasn't quite accurate. That vehicle is just old enough now that I cannot access factory manuals for it anymore so I was going by memory. Hope all went well for you and thanks again for being polite and understanding! Have a great day! :)