Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I have a 2004 PT Cruiser, we just put in a newly flashed

Hello I have a 2004...
Hello I have a 2004 PT Cruiser, we just put in a newly flashed ecm. Now the car will not start. We do not have a skim (chip key)... there are no engine lights coming on.
JA: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: We have had some trouble with it , it was running really ragged for about a week, and was stalling. The code it pulled was indicating it was the ecm that was the problem.
JA: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes we are fixing it ourselves. It originally had overheating issues, which we addressed each and fix. It had vacuum leaks that we have fixed. The battery is new. We have had to replace the oil sensor. And then we thought everything was good it drove great for about 4 weeks. Then it started getting a roughness to the engine. It stalled a few times. Threw an engine light finally and we were able to get a code off. ... so we purchased a new ECM. and that one was not done right so we just had it reflashed today, and still nothing coming from the engine. No cranking, or even trying to turn over. But all the lights, bells, and radio works.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i think that is all
9/21/2017
Chris (aka - Moose)

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Have you tried bypassing the starter relay to make it crank with the key on to see if it will crank and start?

we have.

What were the results?

The starter cranked like it should but the engine didnt catch to keep running..of that makes sense

At the starter relay are there 2 pins to it with power when you try to start?

Have you confirmed all the powers and ground to the ECM are good, or do you need a wire diagram?

No. We dont need a diagram.There is power and ground to the ecm.
The main power cable to the starter has power.
There is no power to the second wire (ignition) when trying to start.

At the starter relay in the fuse box, which you removed and bypassed, are there 2 pins there with power with the key held in the start position?

Pin #30 has power and when trying to start there is power at pin #85. Upon turning the ignition to on, the red security light goes out after a couple of seconds, then it will come back on and remain steady until you turn the ignition off.

It will not crank because the computer is not grounding the tan wire to the starter relay.

Here is a diagram. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nr2bbii8hcmserv/ptstart.pdf?dl=0

This can occur because of theft system issue, bad computer, computer not powered and grounded correct, computer not seeing park or neutral ( however it would of started with the bypass if this were the case)

Do you have a diagnostic tool and will it communicate with the computer, if so are tehre codes, and does the computer get a correct signal from the transmission indicator?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

I do not have a scanner, doing the key dance, no codes are displayed on the odometer, but it does not even display done.

We are at the mercy of a scan tool at this point. We know why it will not crank with the key but we do not know why it will crank and not start when bypassed. We need a tool to tell us why the PCM is not sending out a crank request to the starter relay.

Chris (aka - Moose)
Looks like a visit to the expensive dealer now. Thanks for your help.

You are welcome

Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician