Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

03 town and counrty wouldn't start -- codes P1684 and P1388…

Customer Question
03 town and counrty...

03 town and counrty wouldn't start -- codes P1684 and P1388 -- changed auto shut down relay it started -- ran for 10 minutes and then shut down -- been starting and shutting off while driving for a while

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

170,000

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Chrysler?

LX 3.8l

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had 2 mechanics look at it -- but the problem is intermitent so they found nothing -- changed the one relay -- when first put it in -- no codes -- ran for a 10 minutes and then quite with both codes again

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/20/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago
Michael Solis

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive world for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life. Give me a few minutes to review your case, thank you

Chrysler Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

1. Check the voltage at pin 67 of the C-2 connector at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) on the Brown/White wire, it should be 12.0 volts key on. While cranking, the PCM grounds this wire and the voltage should drop to low voltage (less than < 0.5 mV). When this happens there should be power at pin 6 of the C1 connector at the PCM and on the injectors and the ignition coil on the Brown/White wire.

look for corroded wires in engine harness at base of Transmission on the Brown/White ASD relay output power wire.

look for corroded brown/white wire under intergrated power modulelook for broken wire between the ASD relay and the PCM

Check for acid damage to the wiring harness under the battery.

While cranking, the PCM grounds this wire and the voltage should drop to low voltage. When this happens there should be power on the injectors and the ignition coil on the Dark Green/Orange (DG/OR) wire.

also check the asd fuse

check the harness for the injectors

check make sure harness of the o2 sensors are good.

let me know if you need more detailed information per step you are performing.

i will check these things out -- it may take a day or two
I will ask you to call me -- but not today have too much to do today
Chrysler Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 8 months ago

ok not a problem, just let me know when so we can see if we can fit it in both of our schedules

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics