Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1999 Plymouth Prowler that I purchased new, it has…

Customer Question
I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 Plymouth Prowler that I purchased new, it has been driven about 1,500 miles. When I turn the blower on air only comes from the defrost vents on the top of the dash. I have initiated the software calibration by removing the negative battery cable and waiting 60 seconds several times. When I turn it on after the calibration it will operate properly for about 30 seconds and then i hear the door move and again, air only comes from the defrost vents. I have been told that the mode door actuator needs to be replaced and of course that requires the dashboard removal per the service manual that I have. Could it possibly be the switch and not the mode door motor as it resets for a short time when I initiate the calibration.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Can I see if what is leaking? The battery is new and has the correct voltage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prowler yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have Initiated the mode door motor reset, per the service manual, by disconnecting the negative battery cable and waiting around one minute and the reconnecting. That makes the mode door work for about 30 seconds and then I hear it close and air only comes from the defrost vents on the top of the dash.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/20/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 11 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Sorry for the bad news, but the problem is the blend door. They could have made this differently, but they didn't

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron