Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We noticed a lot of water dripping underneath the car (big…

We noticed a lot...

We noticed a lot of water dripping underneath the car (big puddles). My husband does not use the AC. He turned on the AC, and it is throwing cold air, like it should. The heater works fine. We can't figure out what is causing all the water.

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

Yes, my husband collected it in a foil pan and said it is definitely water.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

I believe it's a 2003, would have to ask my husband, but I believe I'm correct.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

He had my neighbor look at it, who works on cars, and he is baffled. My husband has an appointment at a regular garage tomorrow, but we don't want to get ripped off at the garage, so checking ahead of time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything.

Forgot to say it's a PT Cruiser Turbo 2003
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/18/2017
Mike V.v
Mike V.v, Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Typically when you use the defrost, the air conditioning compressor runs. Once you take it off defrost it will usually keep running. This is to remove the humidity from inside the car. It runs even when you call for heat for example. I would fire up the car and put the defrost on and see if it kicks the compressor on. The only part of the car that should drain only water would be the a/c evaporator.

That being said, unless there is some sort of water leak in the car after rains that is slowly draining, there should be no other place for the water to come from.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

The car sits in the garage, so I can't think it would be anything to do with rain. You said to fire up the car and put the defrost on and see if the compressor kicks on. If the compressor kicks on, what does that tell me about the water leak? Or is that just to tell me if the compressor is working fine? Once I determine the compressor is working fine, what have I learned about the leak? I'm confused.

If the compressor is actually kicking on, that tells me that there could be condensation and the system is working normally. It would come out of the heater box drain and onto the ground under the car. Point being that just because you aren't set to air conditioning doesn't mean it's not running. I hope that makes more sense. See, the air con will run with the defrost on. If you have the heat set to hot, then the blend door will prevent the cold air from coming inside the car, but since the compressor is running, you will still get the water. So it's a normal thing to be happening.

Ahh, okay. My husband went across the street. I will tell him your explanation when he gets back and have him do what you said. I guess he was concerned because there seemed to be a lot more water than normal, but since I don't generally see what's under his car, I can't be sure. I noticed today when he pulled out that there was quite a bit of water, but I see that all the time underneath where mine sits after backing out, so I didn't think twice about it, but he seemed to think it was a lot, based on what he is used to seeing.

It's possible and it could be more then usual. Most of it's based of humidity, so if it's been hot or humid in your area, there might be a bit more. Nothing else on the car has water. The cooling system should be antifreeze and the windshield washer is usually blue.

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!

Okay, thank you. I will rate your answer this evening. Just waiting to talk to my husband.

You're very welcome and thanks!

Mike V.v
Mike V.v, Technician