Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Wow! A real person?! Cool! I'm hearing a ticking sound

Customer Question
Hello! Wow!...

Hello! Wow! A real person?! Cool! I'm hearing a ticking sound coming from my 2006 PT Cruiser -- only 60,000 miles. Under the hood, while the car is running, it seems to be coming from the left side. No knocking; just ticking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I don't know how long it's been going on cuz I don't hear it when I'm operating the car; just happened to put it in neutral to exit the car to get the mail and heard the ticking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm a 65 year old woman with no mechanic knowledge.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really. It's been a great car.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/18/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems replied 11 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,Yes i m real person :)

The ticking that you hear ,if you rev up the engine does the ticking increase in sound level ?

do you change oil regularly and use same weight ?

have you experience any oil pressure warning light in the past on the dash if any ?

and just to be clear, u do not hear when you drive the car ,you hear at idle sitting still engine running

that could be a lifter noise taping or a belt tension er or belt idler pulley ?

lets start here and we go from there

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I have the oil changed every 3000 miles; same oil, same weight. Never had an engine oil light come on. I can't hear the noise when the engine is revved and I'm listening under the hood -- I can't hear it for the noise of the engine. I read on line about a guy having a ticking sound from his 2006, too, and still had no answer after he'd had it in the shop 3 times. I don't have the funds == nor the trust == to take it to a repair person. What could go wrong if I don't address this noise? A belt breaking? How serious is a 'lifter' problem?

belt is not serious can be replaced for $125 parts & labor

lifter ,if it started to get louder it will start to have lack of power