Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1983 chrysler 5th avenue, wont start and run, but when i put…

Customer Question
1983 chrysler 5th avenue...

1983 chrysler 5th avenue, wont start and run, but when i put fuel in carb it will run then stop. starved for fuel i figure?????

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Its my sister in laws and she says it was getting harder to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 5th Avenue yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes im going to do what i can, i replaced cap and rotor. now looking for next best steps

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/17/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

is this straight 6 or v8 engine??

V8

ok, this is the lean burn system. it has the control unit on the side of the air filter.

if you pour fuel in the carb and it runs then it has spark.

doe the choke close when it is closed???

you will need to check the fuel pump for supplying fuel to the carb. also, check all the rubber hoses from the fuel tank to the pump for cracks or breaks

Roy

What's the full name of control unit

engine control module but that is not the issue if it runs when fuel added to the carb

Roy

fuel pump, lines and fuel filter

yep, sounds like you have a lack of fuel to the carb.

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 5 stars so the site will pay me for my efforts. We only get paid when you accept our answers

Roy

any update