Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

The same thing that is posted online. Out of nowhere, my

Chrysler seabring started leaking what...
The same thing that is posted online. Out of nowhere, my Chrysler seabring started leaking what appeared to be fresh oil. I was driving in the interstate, and it started acting kind of rough. Pulled over to the side and my car died. No overheating, but there was oil sprayed all over the engine and firewall. Let it sit for a bit, and it started up, only to do the same thing. No check engine light, no overheating.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: the oil light initially was blinking, then stayed on at the time it died
JA: What year is your Sebring?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i will need to yes. I'm just starting to try and diagnose it. I was thinking either the last oil change was a bad one and I have either a bad filter or it's loose... or it's the oil p;ressure switch.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just that. Never had a check engine light, no overheating.
9/17/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

so I would check the oil filter and make sure its not double gasketed, how long ago did you have a oil change? and how much oil is in the engine now? Does it only leak when running?

It was about 2 months ago, car wasn't driven all that much during that time period. the dipstick shows appropriate level, and yes it appears it's only when driving

so it may sound very archaic but the best way to find the leak is to jack it up and have someone start it while you inspect for the leak source

I will need to get some help later today to do so, but I can. I had a cavalier that had a similar issue. Turns out it was the oil pressure switch. This I could see right away as the cavaliers switch is on top of the engine block. Could this be a similar situation?

that is a very good place to start looking, but there are many many other things that could cause this as well

from what I can see, it appears that the leak is more at the top of the engine, not the bottom. It appears to be more on the left side of the engine than the right (if you're facing the engine).

could be a valve cover gasket that pretty common on those

how difficult is it o replace. I'm not an expert but I can get around a car.

what engine is in that car and I can give you a idea

2.7

on that engine its not bad at all its only calling for .6 hours to change so it should be a breeze

would a head gasket be a cause for so much oil being blown everywhere?

it could be but you would have a lot more issues if that was the case I would think, but I have seen weirder things.

THAT'S WHAT i FIGURED. i'M NOT OVERHEATING, AND NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT... But when I drive for a short period, it starts to run rough, dies, and then I see a lot of oil ontop of the engine

the oil could be causing the roughness with the electronics, its got to be pretty visible if the oil is on top of the engine

it appears to be top left hand side of engine. Right side seems clear of splattered oil. I did notice that my coolant is a bit lower then I expected. I just filled it up

so with the engine running its hard to tell?

I let it run for about 15 minutes. I didn't notice any area that it's leaking from. It does have a bit of a "volkswagen" sound to the engine however.

so if you cant find it that way, next you would want to get some engine dye and introduce that to the system and pressure wash the engine so you have a clean start, the dye will help you locate the leak

I do not have the ability to do so. Is there another option?

take it to a mechanic? you can get the dye at the local auto parts store with the glasses kit,

I did state in the beginning that I can not afford to take it to the mechanic. That is why I was hear, to get some type off assistance so I might be able to work on it myself. I do not have a pressure washer.

you can just get them to do the diag and you can do the repair it would just cost 1/2 to an hour labor then you would know for sure, I dont know what else to say if you can find the leak, you may need to use a mirror and flashlight, thats what we do at the shop and if its hard to find we use dye,

hows it coming?

?

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician