Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Convertible top is stuck open. will not retract properly,

Customer Question
Convertible top is stuck...

Convertible top is stuck open. will not retract properly

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Convertible?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not much. Brought it to two mechanics--one thought it needed body shop work, the other attached a diagnostic tool which told of a circuit malfunction.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think something got jammed in it when I out it up yesterday. Then I later opened the trunk which nay have caused what was jammed to cause further damage.

Mechanic's Assistant: What exactly is happening to the trunk?

Nothing, other than I cannot open it because it appears to be misaligned.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/17/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few thing that can prevent the top from working. If it won't move at all and you're seeing a top malfunction message then the power top control module has seen a failure and is preventing operation to prevent damage.

It sounds as if a fault code was stored in the PTCM, most likely for one of the microswitches. Do you have the actual code number?

I do not have the code number.

Do you see physical damage to components?

I don't see any damage, but I am not sure exactly what I am looking for either.

If you're unable to see anything physically broken or damaged then diagnosing the fault code will be necessary.

I do not know the code, so I
assume that you cannot help me.

Having the fault code number, a scan tool and the ability to perform electrical testing will be necessary to diagnose the problem.

I have none of those things. I believe you cannot assist with this situation any further. Thank you for your time.
You're welcome and good luck with it!
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician