Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

2009 chrysler 300 3.5. P0016 fault along with EPS light. I

Customer Question
bought the car cheap with...
2009 chrysler 300 3.5. P0016 fault along with EPS light. I bought the car cheap with damaged valves because the timing belt jumped 3 teeth. Heads are repaired and engine is back together. I checked the timing again because of the fault. Please note that if you clear the code and start the engine , the light will stay off until the engine temp is at normal operating temp. I replaced both cam and crank sensor today and the CEL came back on.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: solid
JA: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Doing it myself. Truck Tech by trade. Timing checked out good and both sensors are new. The ign timing is all over the place when monitoring.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I read a thread about the steering sensor can cause this. Could I also be looking into a tone ring?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Checked the timing again. Crank and drivers side cam are perfect and passengers cam is slightly advanced. P0016 still came back.
9/17/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P0016 sets when the cam and crank signals are not in sync with each other. This is almost always caused by improper cam timing but could potentially be a bad cam or crank sensor or a broken flexplate.

Was the left cam sprocket replaced or was the original reused?

Left cam sprocket was reused.

Do you have an actual scan tool to look at cam/crank sync degrees?

I only have a Mac code reader but it does show data streams. The ignition timing is all over place. At idle ( 700 rpm ) it will jump around from 1.5 up to 12 degrees and everything in between.

You're looking for cam/crank sync degrees.

Ok. My tool doesn't show the sync degrees. Anyway to check for a damaged tone ring without pulling the tranny?

The transmission would need to be removed to look at the flexplate.

Can you upload a picture of each timing mark after turning the engine clockwise at the crank to line up its mark?

I'll have to pull the front cover again tomorrow if you want a pic.

That would be quicker than removing the trans and it's more likely to be cam timing than a broken flexplate. You could try replacing the cam and crank sensors but it would be rare for a sensor to cause this.

I replaced the cam and crank sensors already. I though at first it was timing because I had the heads off. The original owner couldn't tell me anything about the car before the belt skipped. I've pulled the cover 3 times and the timing looks good.

You can remove the trans and check the flexplate if you'd rather.

I'll send you some pics in the morning. I really don't want to pull the tranny if I don't have to. Thanks

You're welcome.

The crank mark is past a little bit but it's not far.

When you lined up the marks for these pictures you were turning the engine by the crank damper bolt and only clockwise as viewed from the front?

Barred over with the crank and only clockwise. I'm going to pull the balancer and start over again.

It's not off far enough in these pictures to be a tooth off, don't take it apart again.

What exactly was done with the heads?

I replaced all intake and exhaust valves. Only a few were leaking, but decided to replace all of them since I had it apart.

Do you have the ability to do a cam/crank relearn?

Not if I need a scan tool to do it .

It's done with a scan tool.

At this point you're either going to either need a more capable scan tool to look at sync data and/or do the relearn, or you'll need to look at the flexplate.

Ok thanks. I'll see if I can get someone with a scan tool to come by and try it. Hopefully that's all it is. Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens

Great!

Just an update. Still trying to get someone to come by with a scan tool. I put some plates on it and drove it around today. CEL and traction control light on. Engine running fine. Cruise control not working. Doesn't seem to be going into 4th gear and will start bucking when you get around 3000 rpm. Still need to do the relearn though. Thanks

Let me know how it goes!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Had a tech stop by today with a scan tool. Tried a cam/crank relearn and it's still the same. Monitored cam and crank and it says that they are in sync. He tried several different times and the code keeps coming back as soon as you start the car. We're both confused. Everything is reading good and the car idles smooth.
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago

You need to look at sync degrees. It isn't in sync if the code is setting. The code sets because cam/crank sync is off past a threshold.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was reading 2.1

Now check at at the time the code sets or look at the freeze frame and see what it is. If it's shifting far enough from 2.1 degrees to set the code and there isn't an issue with the timing belt then the flexplate is broken.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Reading 1.8 to 2.1 dergees. Idle or high rpm. There was no big jump in degrees when CEL came back on . The light only comes on when the coolant temp gauge is just a notch above 1/4

It's climbing to the point that the code is setting but you may not be able to see it without graphing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I'm going to get a scope so I can check the flex plate

You can't check the flexplate without removing it from the crankshaft.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician