Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 2003 dodge van caravan. i have the metal key but i've…

Customer Question
I have 2003 dodge...

I have 2003 dodge van caravan. i have the metal key but i've lost the fob. i can turn the ignition but it won't start because of the alarm. is what ive read correct there is some kind of emergency PIN code?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Key is ok.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've been trying to find the remote. Ironic I have two spare metal keys which unlock the doors and ignition...but won't start it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/15/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 9 months ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

lets give this a try.

lock and unlock the drives door with the key..

if that doesnt work,try unlocking the rear hatch with the key.

let me know if that worked for you

thanks

the key will unlock the drivers door. but oddly enough it will not unlock the hatch
the key will turn the ignition but not start it.

does the ani-theft light stay on?

it should unlock the rear hatch

this is spare key I've never before used and with some manipulation I've been able to unlock the hatch...it's a little stiff compared to the driver door

ok

will the van start now?

no. i think the anti theft is hanging it up. when i last drove the car i used the fob to lock it . when i use the key to unlock it alarms

ok]

please stand by. perhaps one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on here.

someone will be right with you.

thanks

ok no hurry. i may need to leave for a bit. I have a 'well cared for' 1992 Ford Aerostar...it uses the old fashion key in the door security system. I like it.
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Did it start and die three times and then lock the starter out?

No. The immobiliser is locking me out. I lost the "Chip/'Fob Key." However, a couple of years ago I had chipless keys made which would manually unlock the doors. So...I have keys to physically unlock the doors--and turn the ignition but nothing happens. I'm assuming it's the immobiliser because I don't have the chip in the copied key. I thot there was a "Emergency PIN Code " based upon the VIN which would allow a temporary solution to at least start the car.

You can't start the engine or operate the vehicle without a SKIM key if you have SKIM. If you lost the key then you'll need to either have a locksmith make a service call to the van to cut and program a key, or tow it to a dealer to have them do so.

I'm not sure if it's a SKIM key. It has remote which locks/ unlocks the doors, and rear hatch along with a regular key. It's a 2002 Dodge Caravan. I thot the chip SKIM came later...don't know. I don't want to spend an amount approaching the car's current value to replace a key if it can be avoided.

SKIM started in the 90's. You personally stated you had a SKIM key and lost it. If the van has SKIM then you need to purchase and have programmed a SKIM key from a locksmith or dealer.