Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 Town & Country Van, doesn't seem to want to shift gears…

Customer Question
2001 Town & Country...

2001 Town & Country Van, doesn't seem to want to shift gears (automatic) . The RPM's go up to about 4000 when I get to 40 mph. I can tell by RPM's and high pitch noise that it is not shifting gears. Reverse is working, however, it felt like something was different when testing it yesterday. Have researched online and realize it could be several things...obviously hoping it is NOT transmission.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

I would say transmission is as old as the car (2001) but can't be sure. Got the car from my parents about 3 years ago. Haven't checked the brake switch but took it in about a month ago as I felt the idle had a problem. They didn't find anything, however, I did get a tune-up

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

Probably not. Just researching possibilities online. Have a shop that I can take it to (thinking if I drive no more than 20-25 mph I could get there). They said they could run a diagnostic code test to see if anything showed up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have read how some people having this problem have it getting stuck in neutral gear. I do NOT have this problem.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/14/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the check engine light come on with this issue here at all or have fault codes been checked at all for this issue?

Let me know,thanks Pete

The check engine light has been on for years. I was told engine was fine but it would cost couple hundred dollars to get it off. I have a shop that can check codes on it today if I can get it there.

Even with this being on for years new codes can set without you knowing they had set since this light is still on.I would have the fault codes re checked to see what codes are set with this issue here.There should be at least one code set that will help to diagnose and repair this fault.

I have seen issues with the transmission valve body itself as the cause for this fault here unfortunately as well as the 3-4 shift solenoid or torque converter lock up solenoid fail.Having the codes re checked will help to pinpoint which component is at fault needing replaced.You can get the codes checked at a local parts store as well usually free of charge.If you can get the codes this would help quite a bit.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician