sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Today I reprogrammed my fob and was successful according to

Customer Question

Today I reprogrammed my fob and was successful according to the owners guide. The problem was that it wouldn't disable as I pressed the unlock button. I opened the door and the alarm went off for 30 seconds. I disconnected the negative cable to my battery and the alarm went out. I reconnected it and the alarm indicator came back on. I disconnected the battery again and when I reconnect the cable the alarms sounds non-stop. What did I do wrong?
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: I drive a 2004 Chrysler crossfire.
JA: Are you fixing your Crossfire yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I have new batteries. Yes it's in my garage. And my car battery is only four months old.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Are you sure there is not an added on aftermarket alarm or remote start on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think so. I know I don't have a remote start.

Do you have a scan tool to see which codes are stored?

Will the alarm go off and allow the vehicle to start when you unlock with the fob and use the key in the ignition?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I don't have a scan tool. It wont lock or unlock with the fob or manually. I just kept the negative disconnected because the alarm wont shut off. I dont have any fancy tools.

I do not believe you will be able to diagnose this DIY. I will opt out and see if another wants to try.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

It sounds as if you tried to program a key fob but it does not work. If that's the case then it may not truly be programmed, the fob or it's battery may be bad, or there may be a failure on the vehicle.

You mentioned reprogramming rather than programming. Did you try to program a used fob to the car? Did an original fob stop working and you thought it could be programmed again?