Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

Possibly 2 different issues, both related to starting. yes,

Customer Question

Possibly 2 different issues, both related to starting.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: Starter turns over, but engine won't start...intermittently. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it just turns over. 2011 town country other issue, past year or so, starting issue is tied to gear selector. won't turn over, but shifting to neutral it will then start. So, we have possible neutral safety switch problem...and the other...not sure. possibly bad fuel pump? I bypassed the fuel pump controller on the computer, and it still wouldn't start. just turned over.
JA: Are you fixing your Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Self...so far. Just bypassing the fuel relay. It turned over without starting until the battery died twice...but then when jumping, it started right up. which makes me wonder if it's something as simple as a loose wire battery, starter, who knows where :)
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can turn bolts, I've rebuilt top end of an old AMC 360...but diagnosing this has been a major headache, lol that's about it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Summary:
1, will not turn over, move gear selector to neutral, engine turns over and starts, going on several months.
2, possibly related, started a week ago, engine turns over but will not start. bypassed fuel relay on computer, still would not start, just turned over. had to jump start twice, because turning over and not starting drained the batter, and both times it started right up after charging a couple minutes.
Any help is appreciated, it appears there are many different common causes for this make model, from searching the internet...which isn't the most solid source of information.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fuel pump...crank position sensor...cam position sensor...gremlins...starter...battery wires...and finally, TIPM. those are all my guesses so far.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, last message...forgot to mention to test fuel relay, I used signal from other fuse, and bypassed the relay, 2 add a fuse circuits on a wire. first try, started up, thought it was fuel pump relay or fuse. next start attempt, it stranded me...so the bypass worked, but didn't solve intermittent starting problem.
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Is there any fuel pressure with the pump relay bypassed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I ran the bypass in the fuse box, the van ran with no issue for 2 days, so yes there was fuel pressure. I thought that had fixed the problem, but then it wouldn't start suddenly, so problem not fixed. Still intermittently not starting, bypassing fuel relay or not.

What I am asking is, with the bypass in place now and the no start issue, is the concern no fuel pressure? If there is pressure then we know to look at other things.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bypass is now removed.
With bypass in, it ran for two days, then repeated issue of cranking but not starting and stranded 20 minutes from home (battery drained).
Removed bypass, jump started, drove it home.

Right now the vehicle will crank but not start, correct?

Can you tell me if it is not getting fuel pressure, ignition spark, or injector pulse?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will not start right now. Unknown on all 3, unsure how to check any of the 3....I know it comes down to fuel, spark, or computer.

Do you know someone that can assist you do these things?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Haynes manual has a process to relieve fuel system pressure, using that process in about 10 minutes to check pressure. Won't get exact psi, but will show if there's any pressure, or 0. Going to hunt around with volt meter as well.

I feel like this diagnostic process is above your skill level and far beyond the value of this question to teach how to work on cars then how to diagnose and repair. I will opt out to see if another wants to tackle this concern.