Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We have a Chrysler 2012 Town n Country. We had rear breakers…

Customer Question
We have a Chrysler...

We have a Chrysler 2012 Town n Country. We had rear breakers put on last Dec 2016. The rotors are now rusted n need replacements they tell us. Should they only last 9 months? We have only driven 6357 miles!

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the brakes? How many miles on the car?

67180 miles since 12/17

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

No dealership does all the work on our car!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

They just say the to rotors rear, are rusted n need replace. We do know we have to do the front, that's a given.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/12/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: tracer5, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
tracer5
tracer5, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, were rotors done at same time? What symptoms caused you to take it to a shop?

they were.
I already paid $16.00 with no results yet. No I do not want to pay $26.00.

I do not control the JA end, Sry.I am here to help best I can but have to gather information as I am not there. I have been off most of the day and need a little time to reply. I had also asked what symptoms you had to take it to a shop?

I just want to know if that is normal for the rotors to get rust n have to be replaced after just 9 month's.

No it is not normal. Rust? yes, surface rust? yes, But since rotors were new then? no way they need to be changed. They have not worn and if rust is an issue say causing noise? they can easily go on a brake lathe and be resurfaced for less than new ones Rus is 100% normal. ALl rotors get rust on them. The pad surface of the rotor? may? get light surface rust from sitting say a few day but within one mile of driving pads wear that rust off, That is normal. To tell you after 9 months you need rotors again? that is not correct. I have been a tech for 36 years and do know they are not telling you correct. I have rarely ever changed out rotors from rust, change them if thin or ground by worn pads but not rust and.. I am 10 miles from the Ocean so rust is big here. I do not like saying a shop is wrong.. and I am not there but again, rust does not play in after 9 months since new

Thank you I am taking the car in on Friday n have them check the hydraulics on those rear breaks. If that is the case. Brake pads are at 80% now.
Toke it in because brakes were making a pulsating noise on braking.
Took it in because..........

That could? have come from front or back, If from rear that are 9 mos old? its not due to rust,It usually is due to warped rotors. not rust. I surely would ask to see, I always want my customers to see what I see and explain to them. 80% pads, new rotors 9 mos ago and they say rust? I differ with them but again, I am not there, I can only tell you my end

The rear was done in Dec 2016. Now its the front doing the same thing.

which are they saying need replaced? front or rear?

Front now.

you wrote this, I am a little confused, sry. I was answering about the rear in which you questioned

We had rear breakers put on last Dec 2016. The rotors are now rusted n need replacements they tell us. Should they only last 9 months? We have only driven 6357 miles!

I took the car in on Friday for the oil change n they told me the my front brakes n rotors need to be replaced. Than they said the back rotors need to be replaced too. But the pads on both front n rear are were at 80%.

Do not think I can continue to help. I am going to opt out. Information from your end has not been enough that I can answer your questions, I thought I was dealing with rust on rear rotors that were new 9 mos ago, i am opting out. Another expert may be along soon to pickup where I left off. Hope all goes well

thank you.
Chrysler Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Are you always using a trailer and launching a boat into water where it would rust up things that quickly?

No not at at all.. Its only my husband n I driving n we are are 79 n 78 years old.

I would take t somewhere and get a second opinion and this time ask if they can show you the rust and be prepared to take a few photos and if you are not convinced that they are either rusted and/or in need a of replacement, post the photos back on here so I can look at them along with the estimate they provide you with for the work.