Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

I have a 04 Chrysler pacifica one of my spark plugs is

Customer Question
misfiring would I be able...
I have a 04 Chrysler pacifica one of my spark plugs is misfiring would I be able to drive from north Carolina to nyc in that condition
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?
Customer: 160,000
JA: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: When it go pass 35 mph I kind of jerks is that steady or random
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I havent but I'm low on funds and have to take the trip asap
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/12/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

If you have a misfiring cylinder then unfortunately if you drive it that far you are going to damage the catalytic converter due to the un-burned fuel from that cylinder entering the converter which will cause it to glow red hot and that can also become a safety concern as well. You do not want to drive it very far at all with a misfiring cylinder.

Ok

Sorry I do not have better news for you but if you plan on taking this car on the trip you really need to correct the engine misfire.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Is a spark plug misfire the same as a cylinder misfire and would a tune up fix the problem

Yes both are the same thing, the spark plugs fire each cylinder. If you only have a bad spark plug then yes a tune up will usually correct this type of a misfire.

do u have
Of what that would cost
Do u know how much a tune up would coat
Do u know how much a tune up would cost

The labor to remove and replace the spark plug calls for 1.6 hours plus the cost of the spark plugs. That is about all you need to do for a tune up on this engine.

How long is 1.6 hours u don't know a price range

The labor hours are base on the shop labor rate in your area and you can expect that to be at least 85.00 per flat rate hours so based on that your looking at about $136 plus the spark plug and those run about $5 each . The complete tune up should be less then $200

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician