Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Parking brake won't disengage, Can I just call you or you…

Customer Question
Parking brake won't disengage ...

Parking brake won't disengage

Mechanic's Assistant: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?

Can I just call you or you call me?(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2015 200

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Can I call you?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that the service park brake light is on and it won't disengage the parking brake

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/10/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago
Joshua Haynes

Hi, my name is ***** ***** Iw ill assist you

Good!
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

Is there a way that you could provide the vin number of your vehicle?

How does this work? Do you call
me?
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

You and I will get connected by a third party...the system is saying that there was a payment failure so you may have entered your card information incorrectly

Ok that's not working. So we will just stick with this. Have you heard of this issue before?
Are you still on?
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

Yes, I am sorry. I am doing some research on your particular system setup

Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

I have not seen this one before, no

Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

Is the parking brake actually stuck and applied, or is the light simply on but the car will move freely?

The parking brake is stuck on
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

ok, give me a few moments and I will talk with one of my chrysler buddies and see what he thinks while I am researching your system

Thank you!
Do you have to use this or can oh just text or call me.(###) ###-####
Can you just call
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

You're welcome!

Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

I'm sorry, I can't call without the system connecting it, it's against the rules

Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

If you go under the shifter housing, in the storage area that is open to both sides near the floor board, there is an access cover. It can be popped out with a key or a screw driver very easily. There is a lever with a red pull tab on it, and it will disengage the parking brake

Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

There will be further diagnostics that need to be done if the parking brake sticks again, but you will be able to get it out of the parking mode using the lever until you can take it to a shop. Good luck and don't forget to leave me a positive rating!

I tried that... all it did was put the car in neutral and did not disengage the parking brake.
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

Is there any thing else that you tried?

No just that.
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

Have you checked to make sure that all of your doors and the trunk are completely closed? This can stop the parking brake from disengaging if one is open

Are you still there?
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

I am

Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

Please be patient

Do you think there is anything that I can reset besides the red pull?
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

There is a reset I am trying to get together the procedure for

Great!
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

Nothing changes when you push the parking brake button, correct?

No it just continues to flash
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

oh, I didn't realize that it was flashing. Ok, you have a code in the body control module that is not allowing it to disengage. I assume that you don't have a way to read the code so I will have you clear it out by raising the hood and disconnecting the battery for approximately one minute and then reconnecting. You only need to remove one battery cable from the battery, not both.

Should that solve the issue?
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

If there is an underlying concern, it may happen again. This will only reset it for the time being, but ultimately if the problem reoccurs you will need to have the codes read so that the problem can be identified. This vehicle (as I am sure you already know) is heavily controlled by electronic modules (computers) and it is almost impossible to know the area from which a problem is generated without being able to scan for the codes.

Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

However, if there was simply a set of conditions that were met that put it into a "lock" mode, and those conditions are not reproduced again, it may not be that there is an actual problem, it could have been a "fluke"

Ok I'll try that. Thank you for your time
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

You are more than welcome! Good luck

Thanks
Chrysler Mechanic: Joshua Haynes,
 replied 11 months ago

let me know if you run into any other trouble or have any questions after this. Our message box will not be closed until you close it, even after you rate my service.