sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2006 Chrysler town and country minivan cable from IPM Fuse

Customer Question

2006 Chrysler town and country minivan cable from IPM Fuse and relay center that attaches to positive battery cable getting melting hot. why?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 84,144
JA: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It started, and then all power vanished and would not start. Checked under hood and found the cable to the IPM fuse and relay center was blistering hot. Wiggled it, power came back on and started, ran for about 20 minutes and repeated the full electrical shut down.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am repairing it myself. I lifted the IPM fuse and relay center and found the cable that attaches to the positive cable was grounding on the side of the auto. replaced said cable, but it is still getting blistering hot (have the blisters on my fingers for proof, lol) It has a brand new battery and alternator on it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The original failure was most likely due to voltage drop and/or a poor connection. If you found power came back when moving the cable then there was definitely a connection issue. It's also possible that the cable overheated due to rubbing through to ground, but it may not have shorted to ground until the insulation melted.

The issue now may be with the cable that was used as a replacement or a poor connection. Did you purchase a cable from your dealer or did you make something from bulk/generic components?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The cable was created by the mechanics at NAPA auto.

Are you able to oupload a picture of it and it's connections?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
apologies for late response, acquire computer problems. No, not able to download a picture at this time. I fear it may be the fuse box or a fuse or wire ground somewhere on the auto. After replacing the cable it still became hot (not grounding on auto anymore) I need to know where to look for possible causes. Your conclusions have already been exhausted. Any other suggestions? The cable replaced was exactly the same size a the manufactured one which came with the auto.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 21 days ago.

I'd need to know the size of the cable and exactly how connections were made. It's getting hot because of high resistance through the cable or connections.