Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Chrysler 300 and am having trouble with suspension…

Customer Question
I have a Chrysler 300...
I have a Chrysler 300 and am having trouble with suspension can anyone help
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Chrysler
9/9/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

what seems to be going on?

I have a chrysler 300 on 22" rims. There is a klunking coming from my front driver side that sounds like a bad strut. I have replaced my struts on both sides in front I got brakes done and it still link's every time I hit a bump.
I bought the car like this under the impression it was a strut but it's not. I don't know what else it could be.

if you jounce the car while its stationary can you get it to do the same bump ?

I'm not sure I never tried but I honestly don't think so. I will go try now.

try to max it out all the way really get the front end moving, if you can hear something have someone do it while you inspect the suspension for loose parts

Ok
No can't hear it with just pushing up and down from inside or out.
Can't see anything lose
Cant really get a good bounce.

so the next step would be to jack the front end up and release the load off the suspension, and check the lower ball joints and strut mounts, I would get the wheels off the ground just enough you can put a big pry bar under the tire and pull up on it for leverage to really get a good pull on it like in this video, you can also put to fingers in the joint area while someone pulls on the bar and if there is even a little play they need to be replaced,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mpMRXWZpOY

A friend of mine replaced my struts and is there such thing as being put on to tight? I don't think this is the problem because same noise before and after but someone brought it to my attention that the bolt is to tight on top.

you can over torque the bolts all day , and did he replace the strut bearings on top?

I'm not sure but does that come with the strut assembly? If it does then yes if not then probably not. He replaced something else only on one side can't exactly remember what but I do remember something lower and it had to be put on prior to strut

most do not, you can get a completely loaded one from Monroe with spring and everything just bolts right in

Do you know what else he replaced? When I said lower something and had to be put on before strut?
It's not because of rims correct? I bought the car the rims where already on it and the klunk noise was there so I want to make sure it's not because of rims also

it could be a few things if you send pics of the suspension I might could tell you, the rims can cause an issue for sure because of the added weight on the system, you just want to make sure nothing is rubbing and you should be ok , the only thing it will do is wear out everything a lot faster than normal,