Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 pt cruiser is stalling and bogging down during

2004 pt cruiser is...

2004 pt cruiser is stalling and bogging down during acceleration. And also has p0339 code stored on car computer. Replaced both cam and crankshaft sensors

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

Yes and also at higher speeds around 60 mph it stalls out

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

When you put gas to it . It kinda skips a little bit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Replaced both camshaft and crankshaft sensors both with aftermarket sensors from eBay.

9/9/2017
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P0339 sets when the engine controller sees an intermittent signal from the crank sensor. This could possibly be a damaged tone wheel on the crankshaft but is more likely to be a bad sensor, connection or wiring issue.

It may require some electrical testing to determine what is wrong and determine if the problem is with wiring. If you don't see any visible wiring or connection issues though then the problem is most likely the sensor itself. Aftermarket cam and crank sensors almost always don't create the correct 5v square wave signal that the PCM needs to see to interpret the signal, and are not recommended for use in any Chrysler products. You'll need to replace the sensor with Mopar to proceed.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician