Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 06 300 has a 3.5 and I've never had an issue with it. I…

Customer Question
My 06 300 has...

My 06 300 has a 3.5 and I've never had an issue with it. I drove to the hardware store and it was fine , then when I came out , it wouldn't start. Sprayed starting fluid in it and it started. So I drove to auto zone and got several codes, PO430 .ca

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I wondered about because it is corroded.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet. Just looking stuff up. I also have codes 340 and 325 . I know a knock sensor usually doesn't cause the car not to start. But still wondering about the camshaft position sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I did read something about the sensor not getting enough volts because of the battery.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chrysler
The negative side was very corroded, so I cleaned it good and it still doesn't start. It cranks over fine but sounds odd, like no fuel or spark. But I can start it with starting fluid and it runs but doesn't accelerate very smooth unless going slow. So there is fuel and spark. It really doesn't sound like a coverter would make it not start also . Kind of thinking its the camshaft sensor. The codes are 430, 420,340 and 325.
9/8/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Brad, Dealership Technician replied 11 months ago
Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Your timing belt has likely broke.. Does it sound like it's freewheeling?

No it doesn't. It runs when I get it started with starting fluid.

If it starts with starting fluid then you will need to check the fuel pump for 12v and ground.. If good then you will need to replace the fuel pump..

It ended up being the camshaft position sensor, the more I got thinking about it, if it was the converter, usually you have some pretty common symptoms and I didn't have any. Then I thought if it was a bad fuel pump I wouldn't be able to start it with starting fluid and drive it down the road. And also it didn't accelerate w/o stumbling unless you took off slow. I replaced it and it started right up and runs fine now.