Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

2004 gt crusier, if I hit the gas pedal quick it will bog

Customer Question

2004 gt crusier, if I hit the gas pedal quick it will bog down and the engine light will come on and you have to let off the gas a little and it will be ok until you give it more gas, but if you give a little at a time it will only go about 65mph,
JA: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: no
JA: Are you fixing your GT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: if it is something simple, if not a mechanic.. when it bogs down and I am moving I can turn the car on and off and it will be ok for about 10 min.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and thanks for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Just so I'm clear this is a 2004 PT cruiser? correct? also what is the approximate mileage at this time? thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
108k 2004 gt crusier
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will not call you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i think this is another scam
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

I can assure you it is not a scam. A you sure it's a GT cruiser? is this a Chrysler? and did you buy the vehicle in the USA? thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
why does this thing keep asking me for more money,, I bought this 2004 PT Cruiser GT high output turbo in the U.S.A. Florida and has only 108K
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Alright, please disregard the automated phone call pop ups that is more for pinpoint diagnostics and fault tracing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, TY
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Alright, have you checked the codes yet by chance? If so, can you tell me what codes are stored? thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have no codes, right now..
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Alright, Is this the original catalytic converter on the vehicle to your knowledge? It sounds like the exhaust may be restricted to me by the symptoms your giving me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it has not been changed. when you first start driving the first 3 min. i can step on the gas and it will do 80+ the turbo kicks and runs great. after its warm at any speed you step on the gas hard it just bog and spit and sputter until you let the gas off
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Alright, I follow you, is the fuel pump original as well?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i was thinking the same thing or maybe the filter like the 70's cars
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but then again i thought it could be the PCM
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when i am driving and it bogs, i turn the car off an on like i am rebooting the PCM , but that only works for a few times until it cools down
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

I doubt it's a PCM, or definitely would be throwing codes in my opinion. It sounds fuel pressure related to me, look on the end of the fuel rail, tell me if you see a schrader valve at the end of the rail where the injectors are. I would like to check fuel pressure cold , then when it acts up check the pressure again and see if it's the same, if it's the same pressure, we know fuel pressure isn't the problem.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

The fuel pressure spec is around 58 plus or minus 5 psi.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i am sure it does have codes, i don't have anything to check them right now
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i will try to get codes over the next few days, i live in South Fl and we a expecting a very unwanted guest- Irma the hurricane.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

In about mid 04 Chrsyler was nice enough to delete the schrader valve from the fuel rail, I'm sure that saved them .25 cents a car, but see if yours does have one, if not , it takes a special tool to check the fuel pressure with that's about 100$ . So if it doesn't have a schrader valve, checking the pressure would have to be done by someone with this tool the tool number is ***** fyi, but hopefully you have a schrader valve to check fuel pressure, So in summary, if the pressure is within spec and around 58 psi, it's not fuel pressure related, and I would say perform an exhaust system back pressure test next, or pull the front o2 sensor out and see if it ran any better temporarily as pulling the o2 sensor gives that exhaust somewhere to go instead of building up backpressure if the cat is clogged. If fuel pressure is lacking and falling below 53 psi, I would say replace the fuel pump.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

That is one big storm, and I hope it doesn't hit ya'll too bad down there. yikes!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you for your response, after this Hurricane passes and i don't see my car floating or destroyed, i have a friend with those tools i will check everything you said..
TY
Keith D
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Absolutely Keith. Thank you and best wishes.