Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It is stuck in park. The brake interlock is releasing and…

It is stuck in...

It is stuck in park. The brake interlock is releasing and the lever will move to the right side, but the shift lever will not move into gear/to the rear.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

The transmission is original - 2006. The brake switch is working. I can hear it and the shift lever is able to move to the right when the brake is on. The release that is under the bezel at the right rear also releases it. But, it will not go any further.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Chrysler?

Pacifica

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is stuck in the parking lot at my office. I need to at least get it out of park so I can have it towed. So far, I have tried what I outlined above. I have also rocked the car to see if that would spring the transmission loose.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. I think that is it.

9/6/2017
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

These shifters have a two stage shifter interlock. From what you explaining, it appears that the brake shift interlock is function properly but the problem may actually be with the key portion of the interlock. At the shifter is two separate cables, the larger one is the shift cable that leads to the transmission. The smaller one is for the ignition interlock. Sometimes, the pivot or spring that this cable is attached to in the shifter pops off or breaks. When this happens, it won't shift out of park. Check this part of the interlock and let me see if you find anything broken....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I used a screwdriver to pull to the left the cable on the left side. This put enough tension on it to release the interlock, which let me get it out of Park. I am driving it in N, D, and R until I can get it fixed. I am glad that the key will release when the engine is in neutral.

That is definitely a clue as to where the problem is at. The problem may be in the adjustment for the ignition interlock. The key should NOT be able to be removed in Neutral. I suspect that if you adjust the interlock cable that you should get it to work properly...

Let me know if you need additional info.

Thank you,

Robert

Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician