Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Allot. The my speedometer isn't reading, the needle wont…

Customer Question
Allot. The my speedometer...

Allot. The my speedometer isn't reading, the needle wont move up or down not matter what gear i'm in or how fast i'm going. Normally my doors lock when I get between 10-15 mph but since my speedometer isn't reading the doors don't do that. Also my gas gauge isn't working properly, the needle moves but when I stop at a light or stop sign it drops almost a whole quarter of a tank, after a few moments it goes back up but it doesn't match with the number up top telling me how many miles until empty. Also the needle reading the temp of my car quickly goes up to just under being half hot, wont go up past that or come back down until the car has been off for awhile even though my car doesn't normally get hot that quickly not even on long drives

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

I've had the transmission replaced almost a year ago, brakes are giving me no problems, the car doesn't sound funny or anything either I also had my spark plugs changed about a month ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Chrysler?

Another thing wrong is that sometimes when I stop at a stop light or red light, it'll cut off on me. Not like dead battery cut off but just my engine will just turn off. I was told that could be my alternator but that my altenator shouldn't effect the incorrect reading or lack of readings on my dash

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its a 2000 Chrysler 300M

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No my neighbor is working on it for me. He's been doing the fixing as long as I provide the parts however he's not sure about why my dash is acting up. I was told it could be my BCM but my neighbor says I'd have to go to a dealership to have that reset

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chrysler
Oh and my mileage has been stuck at 197,044 hasn't gone up or down in about 2-3 weeks
9/3/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You have a few different issues going on, each will require some testing to determine the cause.

The fuel gauge issue could be the instrument cluster, wiring or connections, or the fuel sender. There is a good chance the issue is the sender.

If the temperature gauge jumps up erratically it may be due to low coolant from a leak, you'll need to start by checking coolant level.

THe speedometer issue is most likely being caused by lack of transmission output speed sensor signal. The engine light is on, correct?