Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

All of a sudden my 2015 Chrysler 200 won't start. All the…

Customer Question
All of a sudden my...
All of a sudden my 2015 Chrysler 200 won't start. All the accessories work. Although I have tried it so many times, that the windows no longer express open or close.
I ran through the menu on the steering wheel and it shows that the battery is at 10.0 Yesterday it was at that number, however, the graph filled in on the image to be partly red.
My mechanic came and jumped it yesterday with a power pack and it started up. I let it run for a while and then restarted it a couple of times. I went out a few hours later and it groaned a couple of times, then nothing. Suggestions?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chrysler
8/19/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: bill, chrysler master tech replied 11 months ago
bill
bill, chrysler master tech

you have a weak or failing battery, NOT uncommon lately, the factory battery should last 3 years but i have replaced batteries on new unsold cars or cars only a year old, now depending on the miles the factory battery MAY be covered under the basic 3 year 36k warranty, you first need to charge the battery with a good battery charger and have it tested, the cars charging system will NOT fully charge a dead or weak battery.

newer cars have so many computers the charging system output must be regulated carefully so as not to damage any computer, and as such the generator (alternator) is no longer designed to recharge a dead battery the battery must be fully charged with a battery charger first

this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service

each expert is an independent "contractor" and is only paid for their time when you rate the service 3 stars or higher

any positive ratings allow me to assist you with this question in the future if you need, if you have further questions please ASK, I am here to help as well as I can

it isn't a surprise that one day it starts, the next day it doesn't?

batteries are strange things especially the newer AGM or gel type batteries, if a plate is loose inside the battery even slightly, it will short internally and kill the battery and if that plate moves again and is no longer shorted the battery will hold the charge until the plate moves again and shorts this can be days or not, if you have under 36k on the car have your dealer check the warranty coverage and if the battery fails a charge test they will replace the battery under warranty.

if you're out of warranty the battery can be pricey all depending on the capacity battery originally installed the 15 and up had 2 or 3 different batteries available all depending on the option level and engine, you can shop around if you don't like the price you get from the dealer or your shop BUT the battery must be the same or larger size that was originally installed

I presume extended warranties don't cover batteries. I've looked already online and the batteries are much pricier than the last one I bought for my Volvo C70, a couple years ago. Thank you for your assistance. I have been very concerned that the repairs were going to be even worse than the battery. Such as computer, alterator or starter. �� I'm preparing for a trip to Colorado next week, and don't need my care to break down between here and there!
Another question, can the batteries be changed in the key fobs, if so, how?

usually they do not even the best factory extended warranty considers the battery "wear and tear" and the battery used in the 15 200 is of a different type it's a gel type instead of one that has liquid making it more expensive.

as for the fob batteries they SHOULD be CR2032 watch/remote batteries 1 per remote, you have to split open the case at the parting line to access the batteries pull out the emergency key from the bottom and use a thin screw driver to open the case and replace the batteries

Thank you, ***** ***** very helpful.

you're welcome