sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

What happened to this conversation on the Sebring? What was

Customer Question

what happened to this conversation on the Sebring? What was the rest of it?
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: My 2007 Jeep compass 2.4L will not start and I noticed that it seems like same as the Sebring----should I start from the beginning?
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What happened to the mechanic
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many possible causes for a no start condition and it's going to require some testing to determine what is going on. If it doesn't crank it could be the transmission range sensor, powertrain control module, a wiring issue, the ignition switch, the battery, cables and connections, and the starter itself.

What specifically happens when turning the key to the crank position?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Car sounds like it almost catches(coughs slightly) but does not start. Some background. The car had recently just died with no power to the engine but all lights were on. It would just clunk once when I started it (at home). It threw a cam sensor code and I replaced both and the engine would now crank and run but slowly come to a stop. I had previously checked the plugs whenit stopped and they look like lean burn(typical) so I decided to change them also and found them black and sooty now. Now with new plugs, i sprayed ether in the air cleaner but it just turns and sounds like it is catching for a second then dies. I would hate to take this somewhere where it will cost my paycheck for something I already know I could probably fix. It has jsut under 200K on it and I have been its only mechanic sense I bought new in 07. Last year the crankshaft sensor went bad and I changed that in the dark -not even a flashlight. 2014, I changed the alternator. It had 2.5 to 3qts of oil in it before it died. Just passed emissions 3 days before it died.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2007 jeep compass 2.4L 4x4. I was trying to see what happened to the Sebring with the voltage troubleshootng. If you have a good idea of what I might do please let me know so i can respond appropriately. Out where I live you have to have a vehicle
Have you tested fuel pressure?