sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2008 Sebring convertible top stop moving at half way. It's

Customer Question

2008 Sebring convertible top stop moving at half way. It's started when pushed button but suddenly stoped before the soft top moves. Then stay no response to anything. No motor running either.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we tried to disconnect with battery and restart, it didn't work either, there's just no response anyway to the switch. checked fuse and wires already.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the pump isn't running it's either due to a failure of the pump itself or the power top control module is stopping operation due to a problem. If it sees a component in an incorrect state during operation it will stop.

What message regarding the top do you see on the instrument cluster when pressing the switch but it does not move?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's show "top" and yellow check engine light blinks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
nothing moves. I can not hear any sound from pump either

It says top in operation or top malfunction.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It says "top, change oil" I don't know if it's one thing. What do you think is problem? What should I do with that?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there any way I can close the top manually for one time? At least can I push down the trunk cover manually? It's lifted for soft top moving and still wide opened. I can not drive the car.

Do you have a scan tool capable of communication with the power top control module?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I don't.

If you don't see any physical signs of damage then you can try checking for power at the pump motor when trying to move the top. If there is power and ground but the pump doesn't run then it can be condemned.

If the pump isn't being powered then a scan tool will be necessary to proceed with diagnostics.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will double check and let you know. Thanks

You're welcome!