Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2012 200. It starts. Runs for about 5 - 10 seconds…

Customer Question
I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 200. It starts. Runs for about 5 - 10 seconds then the engine cuts out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes, all of the electronics are working fine. I had the car out this morning without any problems. When we went to start it this afternoon that's when it started happening.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Chrysler?

200 LX

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LX yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet and yes I will be fixing it myself (depending on that it is). I'm assuming that it's the oil pressure switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I had the oil changed 2000 miles ago. The oil change light started coming on yesterday. Other than that no other problems.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chrysler
8/10/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Ryan-CTech, Chrysler Enthusiast replied 11 months ago
Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Chrysler Enthusiast
Experience: Technical-minded multi-skilled auto mechanic with over 10 years’ experience in all aspects of repairing, maintaining and servicing a diverse range of automobiles.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** i would be happy to assist you with this. Im sorry to see you Chrysler cuts off after 10 seconds or so. I do have a few ideas and hopefully we can get the bottom of it together. Just reply when you are ready :)

I'm assuming that it's the oil pressure switch but any other ideas you might have would be helpful.

The new models have some really nice engine saving features. The very first thing to do is change the oil and filter. If you did not personally change it last time someone could of put in the wrong oil type. Second..are there any Check Engine Lights on? If so what are codes?

The electrical system seems to be working correctly and with the engine knocking as it shuts off it leads me to believe that the fuel pump is being turned off. There are not warning lights on the indicating panel. There is an oil change required message even though I had the oil changed about 2000 miles ago (the message appeared 1 - 2 days ago). On a side note, the blend motor does need to be changed (clicking when it engages) but that shouldn't have any affect on the failure I'm experiencing.
To answer the second part of your message - no to the check engine light.

Ok thank you for that information. No lights is a good thing. I would start with the Fuel Pump Relay. You can swap it out with the Horn or A/C just to test it.

The same shop has changed the oil every time I need a change and we drove over 2000 miles after the oil change. We did have the emissions vacuum sensor changed (it broke off).

Ok, ya start with the Fuel Pump Relay :)

I'm assuming that it is in the relay bank just not familiar with where that is on this model (i've never worked on this model).
if that doesn't work? Is there an easy test for the oil pressure switch?

Yes sir. Should be with the other relays and labeled. If you can not locate it I will get a diagram :)

Another thing to check is going to be the relay in slot number 26. This is an auto shutdown relay that controls the fuel system.
I can't locate the relay panel. Can you look at a diagram and let me know where it is? (or forward the diagram???)
Absolutely, I'm away from my office at the moment but I will get it to you this afternoon.
Your fuse box diagram can be seen on page 460 of the owner's manual. Here is a link.