sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Cant get the axel oit the transmission on passenger side ..

Customer Question

JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: Out
JA: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?
Customer: Its low on fluide
JA: What year is your Chrysler?
Customer: 97 lhs
JA: Are you fixing your LHS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Slide hammer ..evrrything i try i just cant get it out...everyone says just pry not that simple
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Spent over 40 hrs on it
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Best options are to use a slide hammer which you can rent from parts store or a punch and a hammer. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried a slide hamme 2 Times doesent work
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The axle is held with a normal retaining ring and it's just a matter of using enough force in a quick manner to get it to pop loose. This is assuming there is no damage. If the splines are damaged or rusted together then you may not get the axle off without cutting it.

The best way to get them to pop loose is to use a long prybar, preferably with a striking cap, and put the end of it in the inside part of the inner joint. Using the prybar as a punch, hit it with a four pound short handled sledge and it should pop off in a couple hits if nothing is damaged and you use enough force. If you're trying to do the job on the ground that's going to make it tougher to be able to use enough force to get it to come loose.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!