Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cant get the axel oit the transmission on passenger side ..

Customer Question
Cant get the axel...

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

Out

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

Its low on fluide

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Chrysler?

97 lhs

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LHS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Slide hammer ..evrrything i try i just cant get it out...everyone says just pry not that simple

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Spent over 40 hrs on it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chrysler
8/6/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 11 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Best options are to use a slide hammer which you can rent from parts store or a punch and a hammer. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

I tried a slide hamme 2 Times doesent work
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The axle is held with a normal retaining ring and it's just a matter of using enough force in a quick manner to get it to pop loose. This is assuming there is no damage. If the splines are damaged or rusted together then you may not get the axle off without cutting it.

The best way to get them to pop loose is to use a long prybar, preferably with a striking cap, and put the end of it in the inside part of the inner joint. Using the prybar as a punch, hit it with a four pound short handled sledge and it should pop off in a couple hits if nothing is damaged and you use enough force. If you're trying to do the job on the ground that's going to make it tougher to be able to use enough force to get it to come loose.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!