Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

The lighting light come on and the car shuts off and now I'm…

Customer Question
The lighting light come...

The lighting light come on and the car shuts off and now I'm getting the (gascap) code on the cluster

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the gas cap for cracks? Have you checked the fuse?

Yes both fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2007 chrysler 300 2.7

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried much just looking into it so far and replaced oxygen sensors

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Well just curious how to fix it myself

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chrysler
8/7/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many possible causes for the engine dying and it will require some testing to determine what is going on. It could be a sensor issue, wiring, possibly the ASD relay, a loss of fuel pressure, even the powertrain control module itself.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting. Have you read the codes?

I'm getting
P0457
P0507
P0430

The engine is actually dying and you have to pull over and restart it?

this little lightning light comes on and it dies but only when I'm at red light or stopped not while driving if it comes on while driving it just reduces my power

P0457 sets when the engine controller perceives that the fuel cap has been left loose. It will require some testing to determine what is wrong but if the cap was not let loose then this is most likely being set by a bad ESIM.

P0430 is a failure of the left bank catalytic converter.

The electronic throttle control light is coming on because of the P0507 and that's most likely related to the engine dying. This code sets when idle speed is higher than commanded. There are quite a few possible causes for this also and it will require some testing to determine what is going on. This could be throttle body itself, a vacuum leak, or the PCV valve.

Well the gas cap is on and not cracked and also my cluster display is showing (gascap) and how can I find out what the actual problem is?

A scan tool and evaporative emissions leak detection machine would be needed to test the evaporative emissions system.

I do have the scan tool
I was told it could be the gas pedal sensor so could that be part of it?

You can run the ESIM monitor then and you should see that the ESIM switch does not close during the procedure. From there though to know for sure what is wrong the system needs to be leak tested and the ESIM wiring tested. That said, if the ESIM switch isn't closing and it's switch state on a scan tool does change when jumping the circuits together then replacing the ESIM should take care of it.

The accelerator pedal position sensor is not a concern.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician