Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

After driving my 2001 for about 5 minutes the speedometer…

Customer Question
After driving my 2001...

After driving my 2001 for about 5 minutes the speedometer startas acting erratically and the car surges and hesitates, if i let off the gas it will cycle back to 60 mph roughtly and kick back in, i replaced the cam sensor today still acting the same

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

Igot a p1684 a p0401 code

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 Chrysler?

Limited 2.4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am, i was gonna clean the egr this weekend, but wanted to start with the cam sensor, next will be the input or ouptut afer several minutes it quits doing that its a 5 speed

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think thats it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chrysler
8/5/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You could have several things going on but it sounds as if you may have a bad alternator. Electrical noise from a failing alternator can be induced into the transmission output speed sensor signal and cause the speedometer to climb on it's own.

Is the speedometer erratic and climbs higher than you're actually traveling?
What model is the vehicle?