Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My headlights started going off and on during driving at…

Customer Question
My headlights started going...

My headlights started going off and on during driving at night. sometimes only one light would turn off and it would randomly turn off either side. occasionally both sides would turn off at once. I replaced both bulbs with D1S and while the light is definitely brighter, the same problems persist. I thought that I might try changing out the ballast on my 2006 300C SRT8.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

I haven't thought to check the fuses, the bulbs are brand new.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2006 300C SRT8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SRT-8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the old bulbs with new.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I wonder how the fuses could possibly affect my light system.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chrysler
8/5/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You could have a few things going on and it will require some testing to determine what is going on. There is a different issue affecting each side since they do or don't work independently of each other. You could have bad ballasts, it could be a wiring issue, or the problem could be in the integrated power module.

You can check for power at fuses 1 and 2 in the IPM when the lights are not working. If ok then the next step would be to check for power on the white/orange (left) and orange/white (right) wires at the headlamps, and ground on the black/light blue and black/dark green wires. If you do find power and ground present while the light will not work and the bulb has been ruled out then the issue is a bad ballast.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!