Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I had my 2006 Chrysler 300 towed to a mechanic because when…

Customer Question
I had my 2006 Chrysler...
I had my 2006 Chrysler 300 towed to a mechanic because when i turn car off one day water was coming out and it wouldn't crank so when they got it they kept it a few days and no leaking but since, now it runs hot time to time and i have to put water in but doesnt leak as bad but i put water in now is that a sign of blown head gasket what are the signs of blown head gasket in 2006 CHRYSLER 300
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Chrysler
8/3/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 9 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

Hi welcome to just answers my name is Ricardo. The head gasket forms a seal between the engine block and the cylinder head. This seals both the combustion chamber and the coolant passages in your engine. ... Blown Head Gasket Symptoms: Coolant leaking externally from bellow the exhaust manifold, or internal towards the crank case lower part of your engine, or the combustion part of the engine cylinder and piston area, this will show as constant white smoke out of the tail pipe while engine running

A driver will often wonder what causes a blown head gasket. The truth is, anything from the coolant system to the combustion chamber could be responsible. Most confusing is the fact that symptoms which resemble those of head gasket failure will sometimes originate from other causes. In certain cases, a symptom might show due to multiple failures within the engine. Examples could include the following:

• Overheating could be caused by a restricted radiator, which can get worse the farther you drive along.
  • Coolant in the oil, usually blamed on head gaskets, could actually be due to problems with the intake gasket.

When head gasket failure occurs between two or more cylinders, several symptoms are bound to result. The most common symptom in this case is a misfire, which would result from the leakage of compression between cylinders. Evidence of this could include the following:

• Lowered compression due to rough idling
  • Overheating of the engine
  • Coolant leakage to the oil compartment
  • Coolant on top of a spark plug

When the failure of a head gasket occurs between the cooling system and combustion chamber, the evidence is typically displayed by coolant loss and overheating problems. The latter symptom can be especially troubling because overheating often only shows in fits and starts, such as when a vehicle has been on the road for some distance.

However, overheating can also do damage when it doesn’t become apparent, such as during short trips along slow roads. For example, if you drive from your house to the nearby grocery store, your car might not exceed 35 mph for the trip. Therefore, the car won’t reach the freeway speeds that would more likely agitate an overheating issue. Nonetheless, the problem will still simmer inside the engine, even if you don’t end up seeing the heat gauge spike or any smoke seep from the hood of the car.

Hi do you still need more help?

Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech