Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

We have an '07 Chrysler T&C. This problem started a few days…

Customer Question
We have an '07...

We have an '07 Chrysler T&C. This problem started a few days ago. After you've driven some 10 miles, and come to a stop and shift into park, after a few seconds it sounds like a motorcycle passing behind the vehicle. I'm not kidding. The first time it did it, my wife and I were stopped at our mail box, and we both looked behind us at the road, expecting to see a motorcycle that had gone past. It only does it for a few seconds, each time. I've been a Ford Service Manager, a GM Service Manager, plus I've owned my own auto body shop and used car lot, and I've NEVER heard a noise like this in a vehicle. By removing panels and many test drives, I've determined the noise is coming from the rear A/C unit. It's non-electrical, as it does it with all power harnesses unplugged from the rear air unit. However, it will not do it if the A/C is turned off completely from the front panel. A technician at a local NAPA shop who replaced the evap core in it last spring (and who worked for me in a different situation) suggested the blend door motor. But it makes the noise even with the blend door unplugged. All of the ducts have been removed, so it's not simply duct rattling. The bottom line is, it sounds like a huge woodpecker in the unit for a few seconds, intermittently. I'm stumped.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

From somewhere in the rear A/C unit, and it's been doing it for several days.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 Chrysler?

T&C.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've removed upholstery panels and ducts down to the basic rear A/C unit, and tried unplugging the main power line to the unit, plus unplugging the blend door motor. It only will not do it when the entire A/C system is shut off from up front. It appears to be a non-electric problem within the unit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really, except the rear evap core was replaced last spring and the entire system serviced.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chrysler
8/3/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems replied 6 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

That is a good one .lol

So it sound like a Rush of air ,DOES IT DO IT ONLY WHEN THE CAR IS MOVING OR NOT ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

REAR UNIT

When the vehicle is stopped. A couple of times it did it when moving. Mostly when you come to a stop.

did you check the rear blower blades for one being broken, pull blower out any obstructions any passage

I never heard of that to be honest with you

Put a person in rear and let him be close to unit and drive and see where is noise coming from

are you sure not a rear end issue and sound traveling ,but us aid only when ac blower rear unit is on correct

you still need help

Chrysler Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems replied 5 months ago

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat