Chrysler

Chrysler repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Power lift gate doesn't open. tried replacing actuator,

Customer Question
Power lift gate doesn't...

Power lift gate doesn't open. tried replacing actuator, didn't help tail lights blink when I hit the switch, but it doesn't make a sound or try to open at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Will a bad bulb keep the lift gate from opening?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2008 pacifica touring

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replaced actuator, reset car (disconnected battery), checked fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope, thats about all there is

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Chrysler
I have checked all connections. I have replaced the lock mechanism and the actuator. I have disconnected the battery and let it set for 5 min then reconnected. It worked without any issues perfectly, then didn't open for a couple days. Then did a couple times, then never did again. No sign of the motor wearing out or lack of power. Then just stopped. Only blinks the tail lights (just like it did when it worked), but doesn't beep the alarm or try to open. Not a single sound of any kind (no sound like its trying to open).
8/1/2017
Chrysler Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today. The issue that you are having could possibly be an issue with the BCM. Also, the liftgate module may need to have the relearn procedure performed. This is all assuming that you have checked the fuse for the liftgate circuits?

Above I have provided the electrical diagram along with the testing/probable cause sheet.

The power liftgate fuse is fuse #11 under the hood.

would the safety preassure "switches" or "strips" going bad look like this too?

You would still get the response from the latch. If you are not hearing anything, then the latch isn't actuating. Here, I am providing the operation information for the system.

Pin number 30 for the BCM connector C2 is for the liftgate. You need to check this wire to be sure it is intact. Here, I am providing the connect views for the BCM.

thank you, ***** ***** need to get a tester so I can try these. I will come back after I have tested the system.

Here is the relearn procedure that should be performed first. This procedure may cure your issue. If not, then you can proceed with the testing.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Also, a scan tool should be used to scan the system for codes.

If you need me, I'm here. Also, please, do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thanks again.

Just as a reminder, please do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thanks again.

I have ordered a scan tool and will try the solution when it arrives. Is there a particular type you recommend to perform the "re-learn" you have directed me to try?

A lesser expensive scan tool that is capable will suffice. As long as it is capable of the re-learn procedure and scanning the module, then you will be good to go. Scan tools are expensive either way. Check into 'Launch'. They will have a scan tool that is not as expensive.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician